Thursday 14 March 2013

To split or not to split!

Curious objects
I had a strange request at the weekend. Someone asked me if they could buy one butter pat. If you're not sure why this sounds a bit odd, then perhaps you're not sure what butter pats are. They are small wooden paddles with ridges on one side and they were traditionally used to create blocks of butter when making hand made butter. The butter was slapped around to make rectangular shapes. They are very handsome and are nicely tactile. To split a pair is like splitting a cruet set. I had to explain to the customer why I was reluctant to do so and then explain what they were and how they were used. Sometimes I know what it feels like to work in a museum. I'm often asked about items on the stall and I do my best to explain what the item is and what it is used for (of course that's assuming I know what it's for myself!). Sometimes I buy items which I really don't have a clue about. I must photograph some of them and maybe someone reading this can tell me! Often I have items which are so beautifully crafted and so detailed and beautifully made even though they are created for such a small mundane kitchen job. For example, a bean slicer, a mincer or a nutmeg grater. I'll look for some of these objects in my stock and put photos on here. Then you can see for yourself.

North London vintage market
North London vintage market was very good as always. It's lovely to see regular customers as well as new ones. I sold a good lot of items. I always enjoy it there. The atmosphere is very reminiscent of a village hall. We had a new person serving the food and refreshments. The food was fantastic. Samosas were so tasty and the cakes so dreamy. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment